Post-it Notes

Monday, June 19, 2006

.05.

I'm growing increasingly disenchanted with the way my life seems to have to go for the next two months.

In order to enjoy my summer and make enough money for everything I want to do, plus the money for the move, it seems like I just won't have the time to budget in for getting new paintings done. Which is incredibly displeasing, to say the least.

I never wanted to be someone who has to choose making a living over doing what they wanted. I feel like there's a way to do it, but it would involve cutting off all connections (a very hard task considering that I do poorly in complete isolation and the one person whose mere presence for a few minutes can rejuvinate me is states away) as well as landing in a big ol' pile of money somehow. Or forcing my boyfriend to cover the entirety of the new apartment's start-up cost, which is incredibly unfair.

Or I could beg my parents to support me yet again, at which point I'll be at the mercy of where they want me to live and I will continue to be under their "control" and not really able to fully exert the independance that a 22-year old college graduate should be doing at this point in life.

And I can say right now that it's just until September, but honestly, I'm terrified that that won't be good enough. That I'll just keep failing and failing. I keep making excuses and I refuse to push myself and give up things. I feel greedy and selfish because of it. I feel stifled and empty inside.

I want to make my friends happy. I enjoy seeing them. But I feel like I'm taking them for granted by only seeing them when it costs me no money. I feel like once a month isn't good enough. And also, I end up feeling like going out to see them is a waste of a perfectly good afternoon and I hate that feeling the most. It cheapens our relationships by so much.

I just wish I could figure out a balance.

I wish I didn't feel like they hate me for disappearing on them when they want/need me.

But I'm one socially inept girl who values her career first and foremost and who has far too many friends than is imaginable. I can well say I have over 100 people in my life who I'd love to see more than once a year. But it's how things really just end up working out. I feel selfish for ignoring someone I haven't seen in years just because someone else wants to see me twice this month and will drive me around and pay for my meal.

I hate a lot of things right now. Most especially that tomorrow will involve going to work, dragging two very large silkscreens so that afterwards, I can bring them uptown and attempt to silkscreen three sweaters before 8pm so I can bring them over to my piercer's shop in a timely manner and then hope that my roommate will let me get to bed before 2am.

This morning was the first morning I was able to turn off my cell phone and sleep in, and I still got up by 9:30am.

And now I won't be able to do it for another week, predominantly because of social obligations.

If only travel didn't involve both money and time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home